• During Your Studies

Insurance for students at HSWT

Which insurance is compulsory, which is advisable? We can help you find the answers to your questions about compulsory insurance at the University of Applied Sciences.


You must provide proof of valid health insurance.


Liability insurance

Accident insurance Coverage

Statutory accident insurance at Universities of Applied Sciences

Company number

The HSWT's company number is H0001685.

Health insurance for commencement of studies

Why do I have to take out health insurance as a student?

You cannot enrol without health insurance. Therefore, when you enrol at Weihenstephan University of Applied Sciences Triesdorf, you must obtain a certificate from your health insurance company. According to the German Social Security Code (§ 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 9 SGB V), students are subject to compulsory insurance until the end of the semester in which they reach the age of 30.

Where can I get an insurance certificate?

Your health insurance company will issue a certificate for your university application stating:

  • whether you are insured


  • whether you are exempt from insurance, exempt from compulsory insurance or not compulsory insurance.

The insurance certificate is required when you enrol at the University of Applied Sciences. If you change your University of Applied Sciences or insurance company, you will need a new insurance certificate.

Please contact your health insurance company and inform them that you would like to enrol at the University of Applied Sciences Weihenstephan-Triesdorf. It is best to tell them our company number H0001685. You do not need to do anything else. Your health insurance company will then send the University of Applied Sciences a digital notification, which the University of Applied Sciences will confirm and send back digitally to the health insurance company. Other paper membership certificates are not accepted.

How do I find out if I have health insurance?

Most students are covered by their parents' family health insurance. If you are married, you may also be covered by family insurance. You are entitled to family insurance if you have not yet reached the age of 25 and are completing school or vocational qualification. This also includes studying at HSWT.

If education is interrupted or delayed by military or civilian service, there is the possibility of family insurance for a period corresponding to the service beyond the age of 25. Another prerequisite for family insurance is that the family member does not have a total income that regularly exceeds one seventh of the reference amount (2011 = 470,- EUR) per month. For marginally employed persons, the permissible total income is EUR 520.

If this does not apply to you, you must insure yourself or be exempted from compulsory insurance:

If an exemption is not an option for you, the following insurance special cases may apply to you:

Liability insurance for your studies

You can be held liable for personal injury and property damage caused by you in connection with your studies (especially during the practical study semesters and when writing your final thesis) according to the general liability principles.

It is therefore advisable to take out liability insurance in good time before the start of your studies or semester in order to be protected in the event of claims for damages.

From Internship Office Weihenstephan you will receive information and forms for liability insurance.

Your protection through accident insurance at the Weihenstephan & Triesdorf campuses

Like all students, you are protected by the statutory accident insurance during your education and training at the University of Applied Sciences (§ 2 Para. 1 No. 8 c SGB VII). This means that, as a rule, you can receive corresponding benefits from the accident insurance in the event of accidents related to your student activities. The statutory accident insurance is there to restore your health after accidents. This includes, among other things, the assumption of medical costs or rehabilitation costs as well as compensation payments or wage replacement. However, claims and benefits must be examined on a case-by-case basis.

What should you do if something happens? In the event of an accident, you must submit a completed and signed accident report to the Student.Service or to the person in charge of your degree programme. The accident report will then be forwarded to the Bavarian State Accident Insurance Fund.

Also inform the doctor's office or the hospital that the accident happened at the University of Applied Sciences or while you were working as a student.

Also inform the doctor's office or the hospital that the accident happened at the University of Applied Sciences or while you were working as a student.

You can find more detailed information in these brochures:

Any questions about the insurance benefits?

These people will help you with your questions about health insurance, liability insurance or accident insurance in the context of your university affiliation: